Streaming to Apple TV

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Streaming to Apple TV

Post  Valmore on Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:43 pm

I currently use VideoDrive to add my movies (as reference .mov files) to iTunes. These movies are HD movies in mkv container and are located on a different drive than iTunes Library.

Everything works as expected, but I am considering buying an Apple TV to stream those movies from my Mac to Apple TV. Will it work? What do I have to do? I will be adding PERIAN to the Apple TV, by the way, and reconverting everything is not an option...

Valmore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Streaming to Apple TV

Post  Aroona on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:24 pm

If you add additional codecs to your AppleTV, you will be able to play videos in those formats as well. Please make sure your video format is supported by the hardware on the appropriate forums.

Next, the important thing is that iTunes will not (by default) stream non-supported videos to AppleTV (as it will think they can't be played anyway). However, by using the VideoDrive option "Copy into compatible container" and checking the option "Force compatibility with enhanced AppleTV", iTunes will make them available anyway. You will be able to either copy or stream them to your AppleTV.

Aroona
Admin

View user profile http://www.aroona.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Valmore on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:13 am

Thanks. That's what I had figured out. However here is the problem. Do I have to manually reimport all the files? They were imported in "reference movie" mode, and now I have to have them in a "compatible container".
Moreover, the reference files only took a small amount of disk space, while my movies wereon another drive. If I copy the files in a compatible container, I want them to stay on the other drive still. Can I then import them in iTunes, without copying them into the library?

Valmore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aroona on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:39 am

yes, you have to reimport the videos when switching to another import method. Do the following to make sure the videos stay on the original drive:
1) make sure you are disabling the option "Copy videos into iTunes folder" in VideoDrive preferences, on the iTunes tab.
2) make sure you are disabling that similar option in iTunes Preferences, on the Advanced Tab.

If you use VideoDrive 1.6.8 beta (available at http://www.aroona.net/Downloads/VideoDriveBeta.dmg) there is a new option that will move the original file to the trash if you prefer to do so. Please test this feature before actually using it, to make sure no videos are accidentally deleted

Aroona
Admin

View user profile http://www.aroona.net

Back to top Go down

Post  RVDT on Sun May 17, 2009 11:37 am

On a similar issue is it possible to get a "live" Quicktime stream to play on Apple TV? I have a stream coming from Broadcaster that plays OK in iTunes but it won't play in Apple TV. Is this possible or am I trying to stand on someone's toes here?

RVDT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mnichollsuk on Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:09 pm

I need to confirm, if i convert my MKVs in ATV Hack mode, and then decide to hack my ATV will the movies work in the standard ATV GUI or will i still need to open Boxee on the hacked ATV?

Thanks

mnichollsuk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top