iTunes File Names

View previous topic View next topic Go down

iTunes File Names

Post  sirkako on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:09 am

Hello -

I'm aware of this statement in the Support page:

"Include TV show info in iTunes file names Add show and episode info to the file names of the files added to iTunes. Note that if you choose to keep those videos in the iTunes media folder, itís quite possible the file names will be overwritten by iTunes."

However, I don't seem to get this to work. I'm trying to keep my TVShow files inside the iTunes library, in this structure:

> Dexter > Season 1 > Dexter S01E01 - Pilot.mp4

But iTunes keeps renaming the files as:

> Dexter > Season 1 > 01 - Pilot.mp4

I'd like to use the first file structure because I also use the same folder as a Plex.app source for TVShows and I need to be able to "drop" the MP4 file into my Subtitle app (SubsMarine) to get it.

Any ideas to accomplish this?

TIA

sirkako

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: iTunes File Names

Post  Aroona on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:13 pm

Hi, you should avoid that iTunes renames the file. You can do this in two ways:

1) Making sure the option to "Reorganize the iTunes Media folder" (iTunes advanced preferences) is unchecked.
--or--
2) Keeping the video files outside the iTunes Media Folder. iTunes will not rename files outside its "own" structure. For this, go to the File Location tab of VideoDrive Preferences and choose another file or folder as destination. Make sure to disable the iTunes option to Copy files into the iTunes media folder (located on the Advanced tab of iTunes Preferences) or you will end up with duplicate files.

If you ever decide to Consolidate your library (move it all in the iTunes Media Folder) by choosing iTunes -> File -> Library -> Organize Library, then make sure the other option "Reorganize files" is disabled or iTunes will start renaming once again.
Aroona
Admin

View user profile http://www.aroona.net

Back to top Go down

Post  sirkako on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:13 am

Thank you for the tips. Please, help me understand a couple of things:

- If I use OPTION 1, the this will also affect organizing my music, which iTunes is designed for and does a fairly good job at it. So I would "loose" that, no?

- Or, OPTION 2, but then when I disable the option to Copy files into the iTunes media folder, it would, again, affect the music importing, where it's very convenient to just let the files be copied to the iTunes library.

Catch 22!

I realize there are software limitations, but could there be a workaround for just letting iTunes manage my music the way I'm used to + forcing it to do a better job at managing the video side of things. Or am I wrong in my assumptions?

Ideally, I'd like to figure out how to do one of the following (in preference order):

1) Just have iTunes not rename my video files.

2) Keep the video files outside the library, but still be able to auto-copy music.

Errr... as I write more and more I also realize this might just be more of a post for the Apple suggestion box, huh?

Thanks in advance for any contribution you might make on the matter.

Cheers to great software!

sirkako

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aroona on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:34 pm

No no, itís a relevant question. A solution for this is import method 2 as it creates little reference files in iTunes (which iTunes will then rename the way it will also rename your music files). But your actual video files remain untouched out of reach of iTunes. So that will realise the scenario you want.

ButÖ as you probably know, method 2 only allows you to play videos on your mac. Which may or may not be what you want. Of course you can always create a duplicate compatible with iOS devices the moment you want to take a video with you, but as I said, that may not be the scenario you had in mind.

I guess this will remain a trade off: we cannot change how iTunes itself operates...
Aroona
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sirkako on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:53 am

I just had a thought:

I have two servers at home (don't ask me why!) and I'm thinking of having iTunes in both of them. I'll keep one for adding music and the other for keeping the TV Shows. I'll configure them both accordingly, obviously, with Option 1 for the one with TV Shows.

This should work things out, I think! And since I'm subscribed to iTunes Match, I'll have all my music library in both + everything on the AppleTV + Plex... It'll be even easier to set up automated actions and workflows... Nice!

I'll try this during the weekend and see. I guess if someone else needs something similar but don't have two servers, you can always set up two different users on the same machine and keep them running. You don't even need iTunes Match, but stuff will show up in the Home Shared panes.

Cheers!

sirkako

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aroona on Mon May 20, 2013 11:17 pm

Hi, I can report that we have found a workaround for this problem, and will (hopefully) introduce it in a next update of VideoDrive. The setting you choose in VideoDrive Preferences will overwrite the setting you have in iTunes.
Aroona
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top