More flexible naming for TV show titles

View previous topic View next topic Go down

More flexible naming for TV show titles

Post  ionos23 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:06 am

I'd like to use the following scheme to name TV show episodes:

Show name S01E02 - Episode title

VideoDrive already allows me to put in the episode number and title, but the rest I have to ad by hand.

My suggestion: pre-defined tags which will be replaced by the resp. values, e.g.

%SHOWNAME% S%SEASON%E%EPISODE% - %EPISODETITLE%

Best,
i

ionos23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More flexible naming for TV show titles

Post  mitch345 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:15 pm

I completely agree with you. I absolutely need the possibility to rename as you mentioned (showname SXXEXX - episodename).

The biggest advantage to rename like this is that you will be able to use Plex and Boxee (and probably other XBMC media centre) with your files. Actually, the renaming done by videodrive is not compatible with Plex and Boxee and I have to manually rename my files. I also tried to tell videodrive to not rename the file but it doesn't work.

But why use Plex or Boxee ??? They are better to handle HD content like .mkv and Plex do an upscaling for SD content and has a beautiful skin.

Why limit the use of videodrive to Frontrow/iTunes when we can produce a file compatible with more media centre software very easly?

Hope this feature will arrive very soon.

Thank you for this excellent software.

Mitch

mitch345

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ionos on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:26 am

The latest version of VideoDrive preceds the show title with just the episode number forcingly, eg. "03 My Show S01E03". That makes matters worse, as it screws up my sorting scheme.

Hence I would like to emphasize my feature request to add a printf-like functionality for TV Show titles to VideoDrive.

Thanks you!

ionos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aroona on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:28 am

Are you talking about the video name (as it appears in iTunes) or the file name? In recent versions of VideoDrive, the file name is indeed equal to the video name. For TV Shows, this means the file name will be the episode name.

I assume Plex and Boxee require the file name to be in a particular order (like %SHOWNAME% S%SEASON%E%EPISODE% - %EPISODETITLE%). So you would like VideoDrive to save the files like this instead of renaming them to the episode name.

@mitch345: you cannot tell VideoDrive to not rename files as this option does not exist. You probably confuse it with some other option.

@ionos: are you talking about the file name? because the file name should be "03 episode name" (assuming you use automatic metadata).
Aroona
Admin

View user profile http://www.aroona.net

Back to top Go down

Post  ionos on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:37 am

Actually, I would like to have complete freedom to decide for myself what the title and filename should be.

Regarding the automatic numbering: I changed the filename manually to "My Show S01E03", but what I get in iTunes is "03 My Show S01E03".

Also, it would be great if I could turn of the auto-import for multiple episodes from the same show, so that I can correct all the metadata fields while importing.

ionos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aroona on Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:15 pm

While probably not exactly what you are looking for, there is also the manual Metadata Editor where you have full control over the metadata.

If you want to continue to use Automatic Metadata, do not put your TV shows in folder "season x". This way, VideoDrive will ask confirmation for each episode individually. We will change this behaviour in an upcoming version.
Aroona
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ionos on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:32 pm

Aroona wrote:While probably not exactly what you are looking for, there is also the manual Metadata Editor where you have full control over the metadata.

Well, if I wanted a manual editor, I'd use iTunes - this kinda defeats the purpose of using such a tool, no Very Happy

Aroona wrote:If you want to continue to use Automatic Metadata, do not put your TV shows in folder "season x". This way, VideoDrive will ask confirmation for each episode individually. We will change this behaviour in an upcoming version.

Actually, that doesn't seem to be true. With the latest version, VideoDrive still only asks for the 1st episode, and does the remaining ones automatically -- no matter what the containing folder is called.

ionos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aroona on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:51 pm

You are partially right: you can do the same with iTunes now. The manual metadata editor dates back from iTunes 7 when tagging videos was more difficult and some fields were not editable (for the tag line this is still the case). Also, automatic season and episode numbering is not supported in iTunes itself.

Since version 1.9.6, VideoDrive will only search for info once if you import multiple episodes, independently of the folder name. So, if you import 10 episodes of Lost and 5 episodes of Prison Break, VideoDrive will only search online twice. By default it will only ask confirmation twice, except when you uncheck the new option "Do not ask again". This option is available in the right lower corner of the online results window. It will only appear when asking confirmation for the first encountered episode of each show. If you uncheck it, VideoDrive will ask confirmation for each episode. Probably you have not spotted this new option?

Note that if you change the metadata of the first episode of a show into something else, then all other episodes will be changed as well, even if you keep the option "Do not ask again" checked.
Aroona
Admin

Back to top Go down

Exacly what we need

Post  mitch345 on Fri May 01, 2009 1:22 am

Aroona wrote:I assume Plex and Boxee require the file name to be in a particular order (like %SHOWNAME% S%SEASON%E%EPISODE% - %EPISODETITLE%). So you would like VideoDrive to save the files like this instead of renaming them to the episode name.

This is exacly what we need.

With this order of file name, Videodrive will be compatible not only with iTunes but also with Plex and Boxee. Videodrive demand could increase dramatically...

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE : it will also work with "S%SEASON%E%EPISODE% - %EPISODETITLE%" or just with "S%SEASON%E%EPISODE%". Shorter file name are better because of the folder structure for TV Shows. It must not be very complicated to replace the actual "%E%EPISODE% - %EPISODETITLE%" by "S%SEASON%E%EPISODE% - %EPISODETITLE%". Waiting for an update of Videodrive shortly. Thanks

Last edited by mitch345 on Fri May 01, 2009 5:14 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Update)

mitch345

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bump!

Post  JAA on Thu May 07, 2009 2:28 am

I just came to the forum in an attempt to find instructions re: how to do this!!! Please implement - I'm currently looking for workarounds!

JAA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aroona on Thu May 07, 2009 9:44 am

This has already been implemented, and is available in version 1.9.8.02.
Import a video (outside the iTunes library folder) and TV Shows will have the name Show.S01E01.Episode.
Aroona
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JAA on Thu May 07, 2009 2:22 pm

NICE - THANK YOU!! cheers

JAA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sluuz on Tue May 19, 2009 12:38 am

I just bought VideoDrive and really like it. But I'm also looking for the suggestion made here.

When I add whole season of a TV Show using VideoDrive (auto metadata), I can choose to edit the name of the episode. For the first episode I type "Show name S##E## - Episode name". When I check the box in the downright hand corner, the rest of the episodes automatically get a name, but it reverts to it's standard naming scheme. So the outcome is that only the first episode has the name I want, and the rest of the episodes are named "## - Episode name".

I'd like to add an expression in the name field which will be used by all the files which I'am adding at that point.
Maybe you can check how it's done in SABNZBD. The solution there is quite good!

Sluuz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  muitocomplicado on Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:32 am

Sorry to dig this thread up a little, but I have an observation about this change:

Aroona wrote:This has already been implemented, and is available in version 1.9.8.02.
Import a video (outside the iTunes library folder) and TV Shows will have the name Show.S01E01.Episode.

It broke my old imports that followed the "Show Name/Season x" convention. The new imports are being named as above, even if they are inside that subfolder, instead of being named only "Episode x - Episode Title". Now I have to manually rename the files after converting/importing with VideoDrive.

I would suggest you keep the old convention if you are importing from a "Show Name/Season x" subfolder as it doesn't make sense to have the entire Show Name and Season in the filename if that's the case.

muitocomplicado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aroona on Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:04 pm

Version 1.10 introduces an option to switch this on and off. Go to Import settings (in Preferences)
Aroona
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ionos on Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:41 pm

First of all: Thanks for listening to my feature suggestion, VideoDrive developers.

However, maybe there was I misunderstanding: I don't really care as much what the file is named on disk. I do care a lot, however, what the TV episodes are labelled in iTunes. And I want them to be labelled "Show Name S01E01 - Episode title". Again, I'm talking about the VideoDrive input field named "Episode Name", not about the filename.

I played around with the above mentioned import option, to no avail. Also, the "Add episode number and label" option is no good for me, as a) it does not add the show name or season, and b) it always adds a space between the episode number and the label.

So, allow me to re-state my feature suggestion: Give us users the option to name our episodes whatever we what them to be name. Add a configuration option to allow any episode name, with placeholders for show name, season number, episode number, and episode title.

With such an option, I could finally use hot folders. Right now, these hot folders are, I'm sorry to say it, utterly and completely useless for me.

ionos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top